This gorgeous Coq au vin recipe made along with Olivado's extra virgin olive oil is the perfect meal for cold winter nights! Take a look here:
3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil
3 rashers streaky bacon
12 pickling size onions
400g / 14oz white button mushrooms
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 whole chicken legs
2 tablespoons brandy
2 1/2 cups red wine
1 bay leaf
6 sprigs fresh Italian parsley
1 sprig thyme
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley to garnish
1. Cut the bacon into thin strips. Peel the onions. Wipe and trim the mushrooms. Heat one tablespoon of the Extra Virgin Olive oil in a frying pan and cook the bacon. Place in a casserole dish.
2. Add the onions and mushrooms to the frying pan and saute for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Mix the flour, salt and pepper together in a plastic bag. Toss the whole chicken legs in the seasoned flour.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and brown the chicken pieces on all sides, then place into the casserole dish. Pour the brandy into the pan, and use a wooden spoon to release the sediment from the base of the oan. Warm the brandy, pour over the chicken and carefully ignite, using a long taper if possible. When the flames subside, place chicken in a casserole dish. Add wine to brandy in 1. pan.
4. Stir to remove pan sediment. Pour over chicken. Tie the parsley, bay leaf and thyme together to form a bouquet garni.
5. Crush, peel and slice garlic. Add bouquet garni and garlic to the casserole.
6. Cover and cook at 180°C / 355°F for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Mix the flour and water together and stir into the chicken. Add the mushroom and onions and cook for a further 30 minutes. Remove the bouquet garni and garlic and discard. Sprinkle casserole with chopped parsley.