Apricot Chicken Casserole
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 whole free-range chicken, cut into pieces
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp sweet chilli chicken sauce
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 400g / 14oz can apricot halved, drained
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or saucepan and brown chicken pieces for 2-3 minutes on both sides until lightly browned. Set chicken aside.
- Drizzle a little more olive oil into the same pan and fry onion and garlic until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add back the chicken, along with the tomato paste, sweet chilli sauce, herbs, tomatoes, apricots, water and chicken stock. Roughly break up the apricots with a wooden spoon.
- Stir all ingredients together and partially cover with a lid.
- Simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Serve hot with rice, couscous or mash, and greens. Sprinkle fresh thyme on top.