Brett McGregor's Beef Bourguignon
250g / 8.8oz pancetta, diced
2 tbsp Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1.5kg / 3.3lbs lean stewing beef or beef cheek
3 tbsp flour
Salt and pepper
1 onion, sliced
5 shallots, peeled and cut in half
3 cloves garlic diced
5 sprigs of thyme tied
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 bottle red wine (750ml / 25fl.oz)
2 cups beef stock
3 bay leaf
200g / 7oz baby brown mushrooms, sliced
Parsley to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 160°C / 320°F.
2. Cut the pancetta into small bite size cubes and beef into 5cm / 2in cubes. Set aside.
3. Heat a heavy frypan or casserole pot and render the pancetta low and slow over medium heat. Remove browned pancetta and set aside. This should take at least 10 minutes.
4. Add beef cubes to rendered pancetta fat and brown on all sides. Season with salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Set aside.
5. Add Olive Oil to pan and sauté the sliced onion until golden in colour then add the shallots and garlic. Cook for several minutes.
6. With a spoon, scrape up all the little bits on the bottom of the pan from the pancetta and beef. Next, add the browned pancetta and beef, sprinkle with flour and stir, cooking for several minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir to mix in.
7. Pour the red wine and cook for 5 m to reduce a little then the beef stock mixing thoroughly. Place the bay leaves and tied thyme bundle in the pot and stir. Cover and place in oven to bake for 2 hours.
8. After 2 hours check liquid and if more is need to just cover meat then add beef stock. At this point add the mushrooms and onions to the pot and stir to mix in. Cover and continue to bake for 1 1/2 more hours.
9.When time is up remove from oven and stir.
Serve with your choice of potato, rice or over pasta. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.