BBQ Mussel Fritters & Garlic Lemon Aioli
BBQ Mussel Fritters are a kiwi classic! Make these next time you’re having a BBQ and impress the whole family. They’re fresh, light and delicious.
350-400g mussel meat, from mussels thawed
¼ cup self raising flour
¼ cup Milk
1 large handful parsley chopped
1 spring onion, finely sliced
A drizzle Avocado oil
A pinch pink salt
A pinch peppercorns
For the Aioli
½ cup Mayonnaise
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, halved
- For the fritters: Scoop out the meat from the shells and weigh 350-400g. Pulse the mussel meat in a food processor until roughly chopped.
- Seperate the eggs into whites and yolks.
- Combine egg yolks, flour and milk to make a batter.
- Mix in the minced mussels, parsley and spring onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff and fold into fritter mixture.
- To make the aioli: mix together the mayonnaise and garlic.
- For the BBQ: Heat oil on a BBQ plate or non stick fry pan on the BBQ and place the lemon halves flesh side down until charred. Squeeze juice into mayo, mix and set aside.
- Use a dessert spoon to measure dollops of fritter mixture into the hot oil. Cook on both sides over medium heat until fritters are crispy brown and cooked through.