A simple artisan homely bread. You will love this tomato and caramelised onion relish focaccia recipe. The addition of the avocado rosemary oil gives this bread a beautiful boost.
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried yeast
225ml / 7.6fl.oz warm water
275g / 9.7oz high-grade flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons wholemeal flour
1 tablespoon Avocado rosemary oil
3 tablespoons Avocado oil, plus extra for brushing
6 cherry tomatoes, halved horizontally
2 tablespoons Balsamic Onion Relish
1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed
Flaky salt for sprinkling
1. Place the sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle over the dried yeast. Pour in ½ of the measured warm water. Leave in a warm place until frothy, about 5 minutes.
2. Sift the flour and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the wholemeal flour and avocado rosemary oil.
3. Add the remaining warm water and the activated yeast mixture. Mix until well combined and the dough is smooth and shiny. (Kneading can be done by hand. Knead dough on a lightly-floured bench for 10-15 minutes until smooth).
4. Turn out onto a lightly-floured bench and knead into a ball. Clean the bowl and lightly oil. Place in the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a tea towel and leave in a warm place to rise until the dough has doubled in size, at least 1 hour and up to 1 ½ hours.
5. Line a baking tray with baking paper and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the measured oil. Brush or smear the oil into a circle (about 25cm in diameter). Place the dough on the circle and using the palm of your hand stretch it out to make a 25cm / 9.8in circle. Use your fingertips to press the dough to make indentations all over the surface of the dough.
6. Stud the dough evenly with the cherry tomatoes, Maison Therese balsamic onion relish and fresh rosemary. Drizzle over the extra virgin avocado oil and 1 ½ tablespoons water.
7. Cover the dough loosely with plastic wrap and a tea towel and leave in a warm place for about 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 230°C / 445°F.
8. Place prepared bread dough in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until well browned. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack and brush or drizzle with a little extra avocado oil. Sprinkle over a little flaky salt.