Check out this delicious coconut cake, made with Olivado's beautiful almond or coconut oil. Read the full recipe and method here:
For the Fluffy Coconut Icing
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp vanilla, pandam extract or a dash of rum
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC / 355ºF. Grease two 20cm-22cm / 7-8in cake tins. Stir the shredded coconut into the coconut milk. Set aside to let soak. Separate egg whites from yolks. Place the egg whites in a small to medium mixing bowl. Set yolks in a large mixing bowl.
2. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff (like whipped cream). Set aside. To the yolks, add the sugar, salt, and oil. Beat to a smooth consistency (1 minute).
3. Stir the baking powder into the flour, then add this to the yolk mixture. Also add the coconut milk with the shredded coconut. Beat 1-2 minutes, or until well combined.
4. Fold the beaten egg whites into the mix, OR use your electric mixer on low speed beat - just enough to combine (20 seconds). Pour mixture into prepared tins and bake 30-40 minutes, or until an inserted fork comes out clean. Cool before icing.
To Make the Fluffy Coconut Icing
5. Toast the coconut by placing it in a dry frying pan over medium-high heat. Stir continuously until most of the coconut is lightly browned. Immediately transfer to a bowl to cool.
6. Have ready two pots that can serve as a double-boiler (or use a stainless-steel bowl set over a pot). In the top pot, combine egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt. Stir well and set aside.
7. Add 3cm / 1.1in water to the lower pot and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low (water should be steaming but not boiling). Now set the pot with the egg mixture tightly over it. Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture starting at low speed. Gradually increase speed over 5 minutes, ending at high speed. Add the flavoring (if using) when you switch to high speed. Beat until icing is stiff and easily holds its shape. Remove from heat.
8. To put the cake together: place the first layer on your serving plate and cover the top with a generous amount of icing. Sprinkle over some of the toasted coconut. Now add the second layer and again cover the top with icing. Finish by icing the sides of the cake. Sprinkle toasted coconut all over the top, then gently press some onto the sides.
Enjoy with a cuppa!