Nothing beats a bit of Thai street food, but you can make it at home without the travel with this recipe from Chef Brett McGregor. Check it out here:
1kg / 3.3lbs pork shoulder, skin removed, fat and meat minced
2 dried red chillies
2 baby shallots
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp shrimp paste
1/2 tsp salt
5 fresh green chillies
3cm / 1.1in knob of fresh turmeric
3 tbsp lemongrass, sliced
2 kaffir lime leaves, stalk removed
1-2m / 40-80in sausage casing, cleaned
1. Pound red chillies, shallots, garlic, shrimp paste and salt in a mortar and pestle until all ingredients have broken down. Scoop out mixture and set aside.
2. Next add the green chillies, turmeric, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves to the mortar and pestle and pound together.
3. Put the pork in a bowl and add both the chilli mixtures, combine well.
4. Use the intestines as the sausage casing, prod the meat with a wooden spoon into the sausage casing. Tie at both ends twice, as you would with a balloon. I like to roll into one into a circular shape. Prick the sausage a few times to ensure it won’t split.
5. Place on the grill and cook for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown, flip and continue to cook for a further 8 minutes or until cooked to your liking..