Macadamia Nut oil in this recipe makes for a beautiful muffin twist. The poppy seeds and orange zest make for great texture.
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
3/4 cup milk
2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Macadamia Oil
100g / 3.5oz butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Zest and juice of one orange
Cream cheese icing (see recipe below) or icing sugar to dust
1. Preheat oven to 190°C / 375ºF.
2. Line two 12-hole trays with muffin baking cups.
3. Combine the poppy seeds and milk in a small bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Combine the flour and sugar in a large bowl. Add the poppy-seed mixture along with remaining milk, butter, lightly beaten eggs, orange rind and juice, and stir with a large metal spoon or spatula until just combined (do not overmix).
5. Spoon the batter among prepared muffin pans. Bake on the middle tray of your preheated oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Remove from oven and turn onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature dusted with icing sugar.
Tip: If you use two trays, swap them around in the oven half way through cooking time so the muffins become golden.
Cream Cheese Icing:
Mix until glossy and ice your muffins. Top with more poppy seeds and orange zest.