Caramelised Upside Down Plum & Orange Cake
Yields8 ServingsPrep Time20 minsCook Time40 minsTotal Time1 hr
This mouth-watering Caramelised Upside Down Plum & Orange Cake is the perfect dessert, especially in those cold winter months. Full recipe and video here:
For the batter
300g / 10.5oz butter - melted
1 ½ cups sugar
Zest of one orange
¼ cup orange juice
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 ½ cups ground almonds
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
For the Plums
8 Plums - halved, pip removed
½ cup Sugar
Liquid Coconut Oil for greasing
Ice cream - optional
- Heat the oven to 180ºC / 355ºF and line a 20cm / 7.8in cake tin with parchment and grease by pouring with a little Liquid Coconut oil.
- In a bowl - whisk together the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, orange juice and zest.
- Sift and fold through the buckwheat flour and baking powder and finally fold through the ground almonds.
- In a large non stick fry pan over a medium/high heat melt the sugar and cook until it reached a golden colour
- Drizzle the caramel on the bottom of the lined cake tin. Top with the plum halves to cover the base of the tin and then pour the cake batter over to cover.