Check out our video on how to make the perfect Rib Eye Roast Beef dish, with a little help from our extra virgin olive oil. Full method here:
1 whole quality beef standing rib eye roast – approx. 2.5kg / 5.5lbs
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil for marinating and cooking
3 cloves garlic, crushed
½ tablespoon each rosemary & thyme sprigs
Several good grinds of black pepper
½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
10 shallots peeled
250g / 0.5lb mushrooms cut into halves
2/3 cup red wine
1 cup beef stock
Roasted potatoes and greens as desired to serve
1. For the marinade, stir together olive oil, crushed garlic, pepper, stripped herbs and balsamic vinegar to form a paste. Pat the meat dry with paper towels and rub the marinade thoroughly over.
2. Cover and marinate at least 30 minutes. If marinating in the fridge, bring the meat back to room temperature. Preheat oven to 230°C / 450°F.
3. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a heavy-based frying pan and when very hot, sear the fillet 1-2 minutes each side (not the ends) until browned all over.
4. Transfer the meat to a shallow roasting pan if the pan used for searing is not oven-proof. Add remaining oil and toss the shallots around the meat, coating lightly in the oil.
5. Roast for 15 minutes, then introduce the mushrooms to the pan. Roast for another 15 minutes at 230°C / 450°F, then remove the mushrooms and shallots, setting aside and covering with foil. Lower the temperature to 160°C / 320°F and roast for a further 60-70 minutes for a medium rare roast.
6. Remove the meat, cover and keep warm for 20 minutes before carving.
7. While the meat is resting, place the roasting pan with the shallots and mushrooms on the stove, heat and add the wine, stirring any bits off the bottom.
8. Simmer until reduced by half then add the beef stock and simmer again until reduced by half. Add any meat juices to the sauce and serve the beef in thick slices with the warmed sauce.