Discover the recipe for this delicious greek-style lamb, with our gorgeous Extra Virgin Avocado Oil. Read more here:
1.5kg / 3.3lbs leg of lamb, boneless
1 cup Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
Juice of a lemon
3-4 cups chicken stock
3½ cups tomatoes, freshly chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 onion, medium minced
1 chilli pepper, small minced
1 tsp sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1 cup cheese, grated
1 pack of Kritharaki (the Greek name for rice-shaped pasta, which the Italians also call Rosamarina or Manesta - you can use other kinds of pasta)
Pepper, freshly ground
1. Preheat oven to 250ºC / 480ºF.
2. Rub the lamb with the lemon juice, salt and the freshly ground pepper. Cut three of the peeled garlic cloves in half lengthwise and insert the garlic halves into slits cut into the lamb.
Place the lamb in a deep baking dish and brush with avocado oil. Roast for 10-to-15 minutes, then reduce over temperature to 180ºC / 355ºF and continue roasting for a further 30-to-40 minutes, or until almost done, basting frequently with the pan juices (if there isn't enough juice use some of the chicken broth or more avocado oil.
3. Heat remaining avocado oil in a skillet and sauté the onion over a low heat until soft. Peel and mince the remaining garlic and add to the onion. When soft, add the chilli pepper, chopped tomatoes, sugar, sea salt and cinnamon sticks. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Remove the lamb from the oven, cut into small pieces and cover to keep warm.
5. Pour the boiling tomato sauce into a baking dish with the juices of the cooked lamb and stir well. Add 2 cups of chicken broth and the Kritharaki and continue stirring. Return to the oven and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep pasta from sticking to the dish. The Kritharaki should be cooked al dente and will have absorbed most of the pan juices.
6. When the pasta is almost cooked, remove the cinnamon sticks and place the lamb on top of the Kritharaki. Baste with the remaining juices and continue roasting until the Kritharaki is cooked to taste.
Serve hot, sprinkled with the cheese.