Why not try this delicious recipe from Kiwi chef Brett McGregor and Olivado! Brett's Northern Thailand Jungle Curry is a must for any curry lover!
1kg / 2.2lbs pork shoulder
10 cloves garlic, made into a paste
60g / 2.1oz ginger, grated
20g / 0.7oz palm sugar at least, should be to taste
3 Tbsp fish sauce at least
Tamarind soaked in water, to taste
3 Tbsp red curry paste
1L / 2.1pts chicken stock
½ cup cherry tomatoes
Garnish with crispy shallots and micro coriander
1. Blanch pork in hot water for a few seconds. The piece of pork should change colour, but not cook. (It seals in a lot of juices)
2. In a mortar and pestle smash ½ garlic and all the ginger into a paste. Fry these in oil until golden.
3. Add red curry paste and cook until aromas are released. Add pork (cubed). Add whole (if large ½) shallots and remaining garlic.
4. Put palm sugar, fish sauce and tamarind water.
5. Pour chicken stock to cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the pork is very tender, adding stock if needed. With 15 minutes to go add cherry tomatoes.
Serve with rice.